Distribution of Settlement Funds
A class action was certified regarding a Department of Fisheries and Oceans (the “Crown”) scheme to divert individual vessel quota (IVQ) representing 10% of the Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to the Pacific Halibut Management Association for resale back to individual commercial halibut license holders.
A settlement of approximately $2.8 million has been reached in this case. The settlement was approved by the Supreme Court of British Columbia on September 11, 2015. The method of distribution, class counsel fees and an honorarium to the representative plaintiff was approved by the court on November 10, 2015.
In accordance with the Order following the November 10, 2015 hearing, Class Counsel will be sending claim packages, including a notice letter by regular mail to Class and Sub-Class members in early 2016. Please contact (604) 689-7555 to ensure that Class Counsel has your up to date address details.
Please note that you will have 90 days of the mailing of the packages to return completed copies of your claim form.
Copies of the Reasons for Judgment of the Supreme Court of British Columbia may be viewed by clicking the following links:
- Interim Ruling on Causes of Action
- Second Interim Ruling on Causes of Action
- Third Interim Ruling: Certification and Amendments to Claim
- Fourth Interim Ruling: Subclass Certification
- Third Further Amended Notice of Civil Claim
- Certification Order – February 18, 2014
- Order Approving Settlement
- Order Approving Settlement Administration Plan
- Order Approving Class Counsel Fees and Honorarium